Tuesday, December 1, 2009

HOPE-A story and a message.

The following is a story I wrote about 2+years ago for a story writing competion in my college. It didn't get selected for any prize. During that time I was really satisfied that I ever wrote this. But reading this now actually makes me eembarrassed. It surely could have been written better. I would love to have your suggestions on how I could improve my writing and make it more reader friendly :)
And yes...This story is based on a true life incident.
 ***************************************************************
                                             HOPE

My happiness knew no bounds, when one unexpected evening my long lost friend called me. It really came more as a shock to me rather than a surprise that my best childhood buddy should call me exactly after a span of eight years. I had a million of questions popping up in my mind instantly, when I heard her voice. Thanks to Orkut, it really helped me find my long lost friend.

We talked for hours together as we once again walked the past lanes of our lives, filled with sweet and bitter experiences we faced. Since we departed to take the journey of transformation of an ambitious high school girl to a matured, determined woman. I was filled with joy, when she invited me for the opening of her Rehabilitation Centre for the HIV effected, the next day in Hyderabad. But this left me in wonder, because I always knew that her only aim was to work in a good MNC which would fetch a good income and a very comfortable life. I knew she was never into social service kind of work and once again my mind was filled up only with questions and queries but I thought they could wait for a day and I hanged up wishing her all the best and promising to be present for the inauguration the next day.

The next day, I made it sure that I was available for my friend. The inauguration was a grand success and it was supposed to be so with all the meticulous planning that my friend did before hand. The Rehab Centre was a modern, comfortable four storied building with a hospital attached to it, capable of housing about 300 patients. I was happy for all the 124 HIV-Patients who were present there for the inauguration of their home – that had filled their unfortunate lives with a ray of hope. And to think that my child hood friend, whom I always knew as a talented, innocent and a pampered girl, who was the only daughter of her well settled rich parents was responsible for this left me in wonder.

It was not until late in the evening, that I had the opportunity to talk with her and clear all my doubts. The first thing I asked her was about her father, who was missing the ceremony. I could not find a reason, why he should be missing one of the greatest achievements of his daughter. At this point, the pain that I saw in her eyes made me realize that something was wrong, something terrible might have happened in the past eight years……..And it really broke my heart, as she slowly told me her misfortune.

‘She was in her 1st year of B. Tech. It was the evening her 1st year results were out, she was happy that she topped her college. She was sure that her dad was going to make it a big day for her, at this achievement of hers. She went into her dad’s room to tell him the good news. But she was sort of disappointed; when she found her dad congratulate her absent mindedly with a face void happiness. She was afraid if something was wrong with him. She wanted to talk to her father but he told her to leave him alone for sometime. Finding no other option, she left the room and spent the whole night wondering what might have gone wrong with him. She was sure the next morning was going to be better.

But the next morning, she found that it was going to be one of her worst days of life. Her father left their house that night to never come back and the only note he left behind was for her dear daughter telling to take care and wishing all the best of luck for her bright future. This sudden disappearance of her father left everyone in shock and despair.

Every friend of her father, every relative, every acquaintance was thoroughly asked, every place was searched in the vain hope of finding her father but no one could give a hint on his whereabouts. A week after his mysterious disappearance, a call from a hospital cleared a few doubts. The doctor of this so-called, one of the best hospitals in the city, called to tell this family in grief, about a mistake that happened in their hospital, exactly a week ago. It so happened that the medical reports of a HIV + patient was exchanged up with those of her dad by mistake and the hospital authorities were very sorry for this. But it was too late; her dad who believed that he was HIV + effected, was devastated and depressed. He left his wife and daughter for ever. Friends, relatives and the police continued to search for him for months, but he was found nowhere and whether he is alive or dead still remains a mystery’.


As she completed narrating this, I could find that my eyes were welled up with tears and sympathy for this unfortunate, grief stricken family. Now I knew why she started a Rehab Center for the HIV affected, she wanted to provide all the comfort to the unfortunate patients. She wanted to tell the world that being a HIV + does not mean that it is going to be the end.

I found myself at a complete loss of words. Time and destiny has changed my happy go lucky buddy into a matured, caring and humble person. My friend was the one who broke the deafening silence between us, with a faint smile. Her words shall last in my memory for ever as refreshing as the first rain drops falling on a thirsty desert.

"I still hope that my dad is alive, if so he will surely come back to me, be happy for what I have done and if at all he is no more in this world, he shall be surely watching my every step, from the other world and be happy for what I am doing".

It was really the most unlucky thing to happen to a person, but I was happy that my friend carried on with her life in a way that would really make her father proud. I think this is what is called HOPE.


HOPE the only thing that can keep a person going on in life, what ever tragedy strikes him. I really wish and pray wholeheartedly that her campaign to spread the message that AIDS - MIGHT BE A LIFE-THREATENING DISEASE BUT SHOULD NOT BE A HOPE - THREATENING ONE, COULD REACH EVERY PERSON IN THIS WORLD.

Because it is this HOPE, that lights the candles instead of cursing the darkness.
***************************************************

Somebody's dear dad did leave his home forever cause he was scared he was HIV+.
The family underwent a great trauma befor they realized what really happened.
It was found that a wrong diagnosis from an unauthentic source scared him to take this ghastly step.
He is alive or not still remains a mystery.

P.S Quote: There is Hope as long as there is life.
(I read this quote somehwere and it actually changed my whole perception on life.  Wondering how? I am going to tell that soon :) )

"Ignorance and prejudice are fuelling the spread of a preventable disease. World AIDS Day, 1 December is an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against HIV and AIDS.... It's up to you, me and us to stop the spread of HIV and end prejudice." ~worldaidsday.org, 2006







Edited on 9th dec 2009: Some dear-friends and readers, who read this story misunderstood that every part of the story is true. Yes, I do know a sweet- strong girl with whom destiny played the evil game and took her father far away from her. But there is no such REHAB center as said in the above story built anywhere in the world until now as much as I know.

The sources from which I,You,He or She can draw inspiration to accomplish good and great things is infinite.....INFINITE ......

And I whole heartedly wish and dream my stories could be on of those sources of inspiration, Atleast for me!

11 comments:

Saurabh Panshikar said...

Gr8 post!
Good Good Archana! Lots of Biryani for you!

They ask you to write a story and you had to start it with Orkut?

These Storywallahs hate the Internet re! Maybe that is why they din give you the prize!

But the story is quite good! Moral - If you get tested positive, keep retesting till you get negative!

Maya said...

nice story..liked it

Karthik said...

Wonderful story, Archana. Liked it a lot. Sure thing: Hope is the only thing that keeps us alive.
And as for the suggestions you mentioned in the beginning of the post, I shall tell you online sometime. Because if I said that now, I'm sure you would publish that 'suggestive comment' of mine like you did last time. :-)
Overall it was a very good read. :-)

@ Saurabh
I'm still laughing over your comment, man. :D Moral of the story: if you get tested positive, keep retesting till you get negative! lol.. :D That's terrific!!

Sorcerer said...

coool!!!!
:( they didnt give you the prize for it?

what you said is absolutely right.. that quote thing is right.
keep writing :)

tejuvinay said...

Your narration was good, i dont see why you didnt win any prize, may be you competed with a-w-esome guys like me :P. just kidding :D

Ashley said...

Kudos..I think the story is touching and conveys the message very well.
PS: Loved the quote.

Anonymous said...

Ooo Saurabh!!

Lots of thankyous :P Why not orkut re? I actually foundmy chidhood frnd during that time in orkut,so couldn't resist mentionig that :) nice quote lol

Hellooo Maya!
HAppy you read it :)

Hey Karthik,
I miss my suggestive comment :(
Hehehe! No doubt I would have published it :)
Yes,hope is all that gets us going. Thanks for the comment.

Hai Srocy,
No they din't give me.I don't even know which story won that competition except that it was some sub-sub junior of mine :( I miss not reading that story so much.
Thanks for the comment!

Hai teju,
:~O Thanks for the comment :~O
Yes,I guess I competed with some AWESOME guy like you. Praise my guts :P

Hai Ashley,
Thankyou so much for the comment.
But each time I see this story,I think of the trauma the family is still undergoing :(

Tavish Chadha(sensible-bakwas.com) said...

very nice post and yes HOPE thats the one thing that makes us go on...

cheers!
Tavish

Tavish Chadha(sensible-bakwas.com) said...

Kudos to your friend. Life is all about moving on , but what your friend did is a lesson for all of us....

cheers!
Tavish

Mural! said...

nice bottomline!
kept it pretty simple.......good read

Anonymous said...

@ TAvish
Thankyou so much!

@ Murali
Thankyou!