Friday, October 23, 2009

2 States

Nope, I am not talking about the state of my mind but Chetan Bhagat's book 2 States-The story of my marriage.

I am not good at writing reviews but I do say this is the best book of all those Chetan Bhagat wrote till date. The plot was nothing huge but his simple style of writing and humor has just got better and that is what makes this book an adorable story you can't afford to miss. Though I felt the dramatization was overdone sometimes making the story sound untrue. (I know all stories are never purely real and a bit of exaggeration is Okay but I still think the book that makes you believe everything it says wins.) But it still scores high on maintaining congenial humor coupled to his unique way of unfolding the story. But I had one regret reading this that I don’t drink coffee cause this is one book that makes you wanna sit back and sip coffee as you read, on a pleasant sunday evening.



I do rate it 4.4/5 and few books ever did/would get a rating higher than this from me.

P.S.

If you are a South India like me, You woul feel like offended at one or the other points but thinking on  broader terms...you should kind of feel okay.  And the only point to be remembered is India might be divided gepgraphically and the complexion of the skin but we are all the same at heart.

9 comments:

Karthik said...

The three mistakes of my life are reading Chetan Bhagat's first three novels (5 point someone was quiiiiite ok). Can't really afford to make my fourth mistake.
But I should agree that your review tempted me for a while to pick it up. (one of the reasons being that it is just 95 bucks)
Very nice review though. :-)

P.S. Why don't you write reviews about some wonderful books like Anna Karenina or any other masterpieces you've read? Maybe that will inspire readers to read them.

Saurabh Panshikar said...

hey thanks for the review. M planning to read it soon
dramebaazi is a part of chetan's writing

4.4/5?????
you rate in decimals? thats pretty professional!

Anonymous said...

@ Karthik
lol
The price of the book did sure surprise me too.
I do accept Chetan has his own style of writing that is so simple and the plot is not so dominating most of the times.I do suggest you to read this one though...it is sure gonna entertrain you.
For a budding writer like you this is a nice way to capture the mistakes/goodness in others work so as to better your own writing skills...

Anonymous said...

@ Saurabh
HEy I am waiting for your opinion on this book!
4 for a good book that takes the message over its readers about what the author exactly wants to tell but this one earned more because of the humor that was refreshing.

Maya said...

i bought the book at 56rs on landmarkonthenet.com

and did u notice all his books start with numbers, 5 point, 1 nite, 3 mistakes, 2 states.. he is kind of superstitious.
the book was not much,, middle part a bit boring.. but smaller books are better

Anonymous said...

@ Uncommon Sense

Hey i checked that site...Seems coooooool and a good bargain ;~)

Yeah true all his books start with no.s and you know what i didn't osberve that till you mentioned.

Yup...I agree he is superstitious,it did reflecte in 2 States too...

but I think that book was entertraining enough..

Mural! said...

chetan bhagat!!
hated the guts of that guy right after reading 5.someone!

never ventured near his book again! :P sry no comments for this post :P

personally i believe he is a big fake! ;)

санжог said...

CHETAN BHAGAT, man I read his one night at call center, finished it in 3 hours flat.

I understand when he says 3-5 mistakes of my life. After reading it I felt like Sylvester with that "sucker" sign board in his hand.

Well it's a matter of taste, As the great JOE say's Art's beauty lies in the eyes of beholder. (did I just did something that Anu Mallick would do!! I bet I did)

Anonymous said...

HAi Sanjog!
I wondered and wondered who this great JOE was!!
:~) Honored to have his saying here ;~)
Anu mallick ? :~?

It's all a matter of taste!

Hey Murali,
Thanks for the comment! ;~) I like it when somebody criticizes Chetan Bhagat....:~O